Job DescriptionFull-time / Part-time
An individual who obtains the position of Cake Decorator will use freehand techniques as well as kits and tools to decorate cakes and other baked goods. Some designs will be standard creations for our display case, while others are customized according to client specifications. You must decorate eye appealing cakes, pies, pastries, and other dessert products according to Jazzy Cheesecakes’ company policy and ensure all products are of the highest quality. You must be able to take direction and adhere to strict food preparation guidelines. Proper handling and storage of equipment are required at all times. You will also be responsible for cleaning the decorating area before you start and after you are done. Paying close attention to detail is imperative for Cake Decorators.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Speak with customers to define cake specifications and design needs
- Use select ingredients, colors, and accessories to decorate cakes
- Stock and manage display cases
- Complete daily list for icing, decorating and slicing of cakes and other desserts.
- Organize and reorder supplies, labeling where appropriate
- Schedule and conduct cake tastings and consultations
- Decorate, package, label and properly store products for island refrigerator cases.
- Complete customer special orders, including custom orders.
- Assist and complete orders for customers; including answering customer questions related to products, ingredients, etc. if needed.
- Operates the Bakery department mixer.
- Follows Jazzy Cheesecakes guidelines for cake decorators and maintain Jazzy Cheesecakes high standards for product freshness and sanitation.
- Organize and rotate stock in the Cake Decorator freezer.
- Assist with the delivery and setup of custom cakes as needed.
- Assists in other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Prior experience in a commercial bakery setting; cake decorating experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledgeable of professional kitchen equipment, including mixers and blenders.
- Excellent customer service and communications skills
- Creativity and familiarity with decorating tools and techniques
- Flexible schedule
- Understanding of food safety practices.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Ability to remain calm and focused in a fast-paced environment.
- Team player, with a customer-focused attitude.
- Valid ServSafe certificate
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of commercial baking and designing experience
- Culinary degree preferred but not required
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Good reading and math skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and legible writing.
- Previous experience working in a commercial bakery or other type of food service job.
- Most of the work time will be spent standing.
- At times floors may be wet; therefore, we require slip resistant shoes.
- Will be occasionally necessary to deal with long lines of customers.
– Vacation – Vacation accrual begins on the first day of full- or part-time employment. Vacation can be used only after it is earned after one year of continuous service and based on your average hours over the 12-month period.
– Holiday Pay – Jazzy Cheesecakes recognizes three paid holidays each year for full-time associates: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day. Your Birthday is also a paid day off.
– Profit-Sharing Bonus Program – A profit-sharing bonus awards an employee a percentage of the company’s profits and is based on the company’s actual earnings over a set period of time. Employees only benefit from this type of bonus when a company sees a profit. Bonuses may be awarded in August and December. You must be employed for a minimum of 90 days to qualify for this benefit. You must also be actively employed at the time of the bonus distribution and must not have received any form of reprimand (verbal or written warning, suspension, etc.), within the previous 60 days of the distribution.
– 401K Program – eligibility is determined by service (1 year/1000 service); an employee becomes eligible if they work for the company for 1 year and in that 1 year works 1000 hours. When you become eligible, ADP, our payroll company will contact you directly.